Malegaon accused’s plea to admit docus as evidence junked | India News

newyhub
5 Min Read


MUMBAI: Observing that the documents were only photocopies and some were different from those submitted by the army’s court of inquiry, a special court rejected Malegaon 2008 blast accused Lt Col Prasad Purohit’s plea to admit them as evidence.
The judge said the copies were collected from various army headquarters across country. “If they were certified copies, issued by various army headquarters, then the same would have reflected in the documents.But there are no such remarks. Hence, it is difficult to accept the submissions,” special judge AK Lahoti said.
The judge further said as per directions of an earlier judge, Ministry of Defence had submitted the court of inquiry papers, and some of the documents cited by Purohit do not match those. “The documents filed are incomplete as they aren’t copies of the entire pages,” the judge said. Last month, the court had allowed Purohit to examine witnesses.
Opposing Purohit’s plea, special public prosecutor Avinash Rasal said, “Original documents not produced for comparison. The copies have not been certified by custodian of the documents.” Prosecution also submitted that perusal of the documents do not show that those were compared with the original, thus the mandatory requirement is not fulfilled.
In a detailed seven-page order, the judge said that the particular defence witness is neither an issuing authority nor a writer of the documents. “The person whose signatures appear above the seal have not been examined before this court. On these documents, it is nowhere mentioned that they have been issued after comparing with original records,” the judge said.
On Sept 29, 2008, a bomb exploded at Bhikku Chowk in Malegaon, killing six persons and injuring more than 100. In 2011, NIA took over the probe from ATS. After prosecution completed examination of witnesses last year, the judge started recording final statements of accused.



//
Share This Article
Leave a comment