Drunk man jumps from PCR, dies after 4 govt hospitals turn him away | India News

5 Min Read

NEW DELHI: For more than eight hours, 47-year-old Pramod, who had been taken into custody by the police control room (PCR), was taken from one government hospital to another – four in all – only to be turned away. By the time he was taken back to the first one in a last-ditch attempt to save his life, he had passed away.
Police said Pramod was being taken to the police station by the PCR after a woman alleged he had molested, abused and beaten her at Shanti Mohalla in New Usmanpur on Tuesday night.
He was drunk and sitting at the rear while the cops were at the front when he opened a window and pushed himself out of the moving car. He fell on the road and suffered serious head injuries.
According to the police, the distress call had been received from a 21-year-old woman at 9.03pm.
Bharadwaj seeks reply from hosps that turned man away
A team reached the spot and took the woman for medical examination while a PCR asked Pramod to go with them to the police station.
“When they were about to reach the police station, Pramod, who was inebriated and vomiting, jumped from the vehicle after opening a window,” said Joy Tirkey, DCP, North-East. “He fell on the road and was immediately taken to Jag Pravesh Chandra (JPC) Hospital.”
The hospital referred him to GTB Hospital. “He was taken to GTB Hospital by an ambulance, but because of the unavailability of CT-scan, he could not be admitted there and was sent to LNJP Hospital,” said the DCP.
LNJP apparently had no ICU beds with ventilator available and didn’t admit Pramod. Tirkey said the cops then took him to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital but were unable to get him admitted there.
He was then brought back to JPC Hospital, where he was declared dead at 5:45am.
“It’s strange how no hospital could give him proper medical treatment. A medical board has been constituted to conduct the post-mortem. Pramod was found involved in two criminal cases, including an attempt to murder,” said Tirkey.
“The three Delhi government hospitals have been asked for an explanation,” said Delhi health minister Saurabh Bharadwaj in a statement. The local police has also written to the PCR unit asking them to take action against the cops accompanying Pramod.
TOI reached out to RML and GTB hospitals but no one was available for comment. Doctors at LNJP said, “No ventilator was available at the time of the patient’s arrival and he was referred to another hospital.”

Share This Article
Leave a comment